Quincy Square Museum
East Main Street
Earlville, New York
Copyright 2006 The Quincy Square Museum Association, Inc. and Mica PTS
Permission must be obtained before using any information, text, or images on these pages.
All information is presented as accurate as possible. Not responsible for typographical errors or possible inaccuracies.
Report website problems to email@example.com
Earlville - Past, Present, Future.
Historical and Prophetic Sketch Being Prepared by Mr. John R. Parsons.
John R. Parsons Historical Writings Revisited
School History - Part II
The present school building on Fayette street is a large brick structure with wide, well lighted stairways and halls.
There are four large grade rooms, and a small room used for drawing on the first floor. In the basement, besides the
boiler room and toilets, there is a large room used for physical training and a well equipped laboratory for physics,
chemistry and biology. On the second floor there is an assembly hall that will seat 100 pupils at separate desks, two
large classrooms and a small room once used as an office but is now surrendered to class use. The building as a whole
is large and airy and the many large windows afford unusually good lighting.
A beautiful large lawn extends along the front and sides of the building, and beautiful shrubs flower from spring to fall.
Young elm and maple trees have been planted during the past few years, and a windbreak of sturdy Norway spruces,
planted two years ago will give added protection each year from the wintry blasts from the north and west. Three acres
of land have been added to the school property on the west and north for field athletic use, and play ground
equipment has been added through funds raised by the pupils.
To Be Added...
Earlville Central School Faculty – Early 1920s
Back row: Ruth Miller, Prof. Rundlert, Henrietta Hayden
Front row: Ruth Nash, Marion Smith, Ms. Meade (?), Marion Rumsey (Mrs. James), Grace Gurney
The Earlville school has ever been somewhat of a Gretna Green for its teachers (Greta Green is an area on the border
between England and Scotland where underage people could go to get married without their parent's consent). Prof.
Edward Rowe met here Miss Elizabeth Comstock, one of his teachers, and they married. Mrs. Dimmick Lamb, Mrs.
Vance Avery, Mrs. LeRoy Nash, Mrs. Devillo Hinckley, Mrs. Leslie Newton, Mrs. F. C. Buell, Jr., Mrs. Frank Preston,
Mrs. Glenn Billings, the first Mrs. R. H. Williamson and Mrs. Fred Sackett each came to teach in Earlville School. Each
captured an Earlville boy for a husband and remained here. Mrs. Irving Jaquith, Mrs. Chas. Stadler, Mrs. Homer
Collins, and Mrs. H. H. White were home girls that taught in Earlville school. They each caught an outside boy and
have made this their home. Hon. A. M. Hoadley, a New Berlin boy and a graduate of Fredonia normal school, came as
principal in 1887. An Earlville girl in the person of Miss Daisy Douglass, cinched him for a husband and made him one
of our best citizens. Mr. Hoadley was principal here for two years and taught four years in Lenox Institute, New York
City. He was in the clothing business here for thirty-two years and during those years has given of his time three years
as president of the village, eighteen years as supervisor of the town of Hamilton (during which time he was chairman
of the board four years) and two years member of assembly from Madison county. He has just retired from the clothing
business and certainly has earned the rest he is now enjoying.
2006 Photo Showing the Athletic Field & Norway Spruces Planted in 1924
Since Principal Rundlett, Colgate B.S. came to the school in 1920, the department of music and drawing was added;
also that of physical training. Besides the principal, there are three academic teachers doing department work in
English, in French and Latin, in Science and Math, and in History. There are four grade school teachers and the two
special teachers in music and drawing and physical training. This departmental work is highly approved by the
Education Department of the state.
The school is well equipped with libraries, maps, pictures, laboratory equipment and other teaching devices. There is a
first aid cabinet, and a cot for use of sick or injured children.
Earlville high school is an approved secondary school under the New York State Regents. Its graduates may enter
college upon the certification of its principal. From an academic department of 75, unusually large classes are
graduated, there being 17 in 1921, and an unexpected class of 22 in 1926. State regents' printed records show that the
school ranks above the average of all schools in the state in percentage of regents examination papers accepted by the
regents and higher than many schools of larger size employing more teachers and having at least one teacher to a
About half of the academic enrollment comes from the outlying districts and from Smyrna, Poolville, Hubbardsville,
Lebanon, Georgetown and Erieville. There are about 150 grade school pupils in the school.
Local and interscholastic prize speaking contests are conducted yearly; basketball and baseball feature the athletic life
of the school, a physical training demonstration is given in the spring, rhetorical exercises are open to the public on
special and patriotic occasions, and the seniors take the annual educational trip to Washington.
Truly the passing of a century has made great progress along educational lines in Earlville school.